Ligature

Name:
Location: Chicagoland, Illinois, United States

Monday, September 03, 2007

"I" or "E"?

My friend Meckhead reminded me today of something I'd said two years ago, after returning from a week-long beach vacation with my very extroverted friend Foster.

"What's the difference between an introvert and an extrovert? An introvert will sit on the beach and enjoy it. An extrovert will sit on a beach and say: 'Isn't it a beautiful day?' 'What a beautiful day.' 'I can't believe how nice the weather is today.' 'Don't you think this weather is beautiful?'"

Most of my friends are extroverts. I appreciate extroverts, because they're spontaneously social. They draw me out of my shell. They get me out of my house. They always have something to talk about.

Most people think I'm an extrovert, because I've learned to do small-talk better than a lot of introverts.

Despite that fact, spending time with others still saps my energy.

I still don't say half of what I'm thinking because I feel like the conversation has moved on before I have anything significant to add. When I change the subject or contribute anything about myself, I feel like I'm committing some huge social gaffe. I often replay conversations over and over ex post facto to make sure I haven't said anything I didn't intend to.

I'm sure my extroverted friends don't even notice. I'm glad they don't.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

This one doesn't notice! :-)

10:23 AM  
Blogger Amy said...

Huh - I'm an introvert...and I've always thought that we were similar in what you just wrote. Takes one to know one?

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post insists that I finally blog! I notice! I think you are amazing, and am always waiting to hear you say more. I've always thought you say only half of what you are thinking and now you confirm it. I say share, you are among friends.

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home