Ligature

Name:
Location: Chicagoland, Illinois, United States

Saturday, March 19, 2005

Thanks, Jess

Jess of What, You Too? fame, has thrown down this challenge, and I am thrilled to pick it up:

• What is the total amount of music files on your computer?

Home: Six low-quality songs, all downloaded from the Harry and the Potters Web site. Personal favorites include "Save Ginny Weasley" and "Wizard Chess." I'm sending my $24 to these kids ASAP.

Work: I'm in the process of importing my entire CD collection onto my shiny new Mac. As a graphic designer, I love to listen to music while I work. My can't-miss favorite band is Over The Rhine. They sing about beauty and sex and God and despair in ways that will break your heart (in a good way) if you let them.

• What was the last song you listened to before reading this message?

Probably something off the Queer Eye for the Straight Guy soundtrack, since my friends Foster and Kathy had control of the car radio. Couldn't tell you which song, 'cause I don't know anything about popular music.

• Write down five songs you often listen to or that mean a lot to you:

1. Song: "Changes Come" by Over The Rhine, on their Ohio disc. Beautifully haunting, like all their best songs. Lyric: I have my father's hands / I have my mother's tongue / I look for redemption in everyone.

2. Song: "Lie" by Dream Theater, on their Awake disc. This is my all-time favorite pissed-off song. Lyric: Never been much of a doubting Thomas / but nothing breaks like a broken promise / You tell me 'bout your two more coming / But once is just enough for me / I had gotten used to being a soul destroyed / She comes in apparently to fill the void

3. Song: "Tear-Stained Eye" by Son Volt, on their Trace disc. Lyric: Saint Genevieve can hold back the water / But the saints don't bother / With a tear-stained eye

4. Song: "Solar System" by Bill Mallonee and the Vigilantes of Love, on their Audible Sigh disc. Lyric: Well put all your love where it hurts the most / Expect a little visit from the Holy Ghost / When your short wave dies and there's no one to listen / Stars going cold in your solar system

5. Song: "Less" by Ben Harper and the Innocent Criminals, on their Burn to Shine album. Lyric:You'd shake hands with Jesus / And you still would not believe

Who are you going to pass this on to (3 people) and why?

Em, because she's way more hip than me.

Amused, because all I know about her musical tastes is that she likes Ben Harper, and that's a good start.

Rob, because he always has interesting stuff to recommend.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

I am definitely going to be checking out the Harry Potter link. Thanks. :-)

9:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home