Ligature

Name:
Location: Chicagoland, Illinois, United States

Saturday, March 05, 2005

Life and art — the intersection

Those of you who follow this blog know that I'm part way through writing a piece of derivative fiction. My beta-reader at The Sugar Quill said I'm N.E.W.T.-worthy. (This means that I'd no longer be required to have an "official" editor preview my work before I posted it.) My first reaction was something involving jumping up and down and making a "yeeeeeeeee" noise. My second was this: "What? Who will help me become a better writer, then?"

For example, in tonight's edit, my beta-reader suggested that I introduce some sort of physical flaw into my female protagonist. My beta said readers generally don't like flawless characters, and that the male protagonist might be too frightened of a physically "perfect" woman. (What a great piece of advice, and quite a deep insight into both protagonists! No, I'm not ready to give up this sort of quality feedback.)

This particular insight reflects some of my recent real-life thoughts about the nature of attraction. I've found myself on the flip-side of the role to which I've become accustomed regarding flirtation and those first overtures of "Maybe you, let's find out?" I've always worn my heart on my sleeve and risked everything for that elusive "maybe you." I've always been the certain one. I've always been the brave one. I've always been the one to swallow my pride and ask. And now that I've encountered someone else willing to do the same (for me) I'm overwhelmed, overjoyed and terrified. This is uncharted territory. Who knows where these far-fetched possibilities will take us?

2 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Hooray for being NEWT-worthy--in fiction and in real life. And good for the Mysterious Someone for overwhelming, overjoy-ing and terrifying you!

4:02 PM  
Blogger Kella said...

I sympathize with always being the one who's brave. Not because I am, but because I used to be passive in letting the overwhelming, overjoying and terrifying thing happen to me. It usually didn't fare too well, but I think you have a better track record with men than I do. Good luck.

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home