Ligature

Name:
Location: Chicagoland, Illinois, United States

Saturday, May 22, 2004

Cardamom, rosemary, sumaq, coriander and crushed red peppers

It doesn't have quite the ring of a Simon and Garfunkel tune, but I've decided those are my five favorite spices.

Why?

While scouring the kitchen, I was dismayed at the sight of my overcrowded spice rack. Bottles teetered precariously on others, the white mustard poised for another tumble into the dishwater.

Then I remembered. The Christmas gift I couldn't bring myself to give J. last year, because he was being distant and noncommittal around Christmas.

So, instead, he received from me a book of James Bond movie posters. Something to match his mystery and attitude.

Our relationship improved for a few weeks.

In late January, I'd removed the blue Christmas paper and re-wrapped it in bright red for Valentine's Day, just in time for him to start acting distant and noncommittal again. Again, my insecurities about our relationship surfaced, and I dreaded giving him something so nice, so domestic.

So back into the closet it went, to wait for the next appropriate holiday.

And then we broke up.

I've just now torn off the shiny red paper and silver ribbon. Happy Valentine's Day to me, three months late! Alas, the solution to my overcrowded kitchen. Five round, glass-lidded chrome spice containers with magnetic bases that adhere to a chrome panel. It's beautiful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home