Ligature

Name:
Location: Chicagoland, Illinois, United States

Monday, January 10, 2005

On writing …

(Tonight's workout accompaniment: Franz Ferdinand)

As many of you know, I've started working with a beta-reader on my fan fiction. I received her critiques of my first chapter yesterday.

She had a lot of comments and suggestions for me. Granted, I asked for it. I told her that, while a professional journalist and a poet, this is my first stab at fiction. I told her to help me work on my narrative voice.

Moreover, she was gentle in her delivery of suggested changes and invited comments or questions about her editing. I'm lucky to be working with her, and amazed that she's willing to do this kind of mentorship gratis.

The process had me thinking, however, about the absolutely masochistic nature of writers: We pour our heart and soul into something, turn it over to someone else, invite criticism and then thank our editors for finding our errors and telling us where we might improve.

Is there another profession that requires such grueling self-deprecation? Besides, perhaps, starting one's military service in boot camp?

3 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

I am so glad that your beta reader is good to you! :-)

"We pour our heart and soul into something, turn it over to someone else, invite criticism and then thank our editors for finding our errors and telling us where we might improve. Is there another profession that requires such grueling self-deprecation?"

I can definitely relate to that feeling in my current job. Maybe anything with "assistant" in its title will have masochistic overtones. Or job that requires an editor, or boss for that matter... But you are so right, writing has a special added bonus: you put your *heart* out on the table, every time, to get flayed and whipped and stitched back together. Yikes.

5:04 AM  
Blogger Kella said...

As someone coming to terms, coming to celebrate not just flagellate, with her inner writer, I think what you write of is the nature of the beast. Bad, cliched pun intended. Writing is introspective. Writing lasts, especially when it's good. Therefore, I need the criticism but I also need my voice and vision. No amount of criticism will find those things for you. At some point, you, I, have to trust myself enough to know this is the best it can be. I've never felt that when I write, but at some point I have to let the story, the scene, my heart go if I want to risk all of the above having an audience, a partnership or a connection. Writing is never easy, but it is so rewarding. Especially when you do what you've done, which is put yourself out there. Thank you.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Kella said...

I hope you're doing well. Just thought I'd let you know this wish.

12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home