Ligature

Name:
Location: Chicagoland, Illinois, United States

Tuesday, December 28, 2004

I did it!

Today was the official new story submission day at www.sugarquill.net.

Please cross your fingers for me, I just submitted my first chapter for review. I should find out shortly after the New Year whether my story is accepted for beta-reading and publication.

I've come to care about this project, and handing it over for acceptance or rejection was very difficult. As the story has grown it has come to have a life of its own. There's a part of my brain that's always thinking about "What happens next … ?"

I know I'm a good writer. I would have never survived journalism school if I weren't. But the anxiety of having someone else evaluate my fiction (something I've never tried before) is terrifying. I know I can give you the facts (ma'am), a quote that sings, and a caption that'll pique your interest.

What I don't know is if I can make a relationship work between two people who are, on the surface, exceptionally poorly suited for each other; mend a broken heart in a man who's lost the love of his life; and find the cure for a highly contagious disease.

Wish me luck.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jessica said...

Ditto: yay!!!! I can't wait! Are you called Abba there too? (So I can look out for your story soon.) Oh man, now you have piqued my interest like crazy... is one of the exceptionally unsuitable couple a greasy-haired potions master???

2:45 AM  
Blogger Abba said...

Yes, IF my story is accepted, my pen name there will be "Abba," as well. (Incidentally, no one's ever asked "Why Abba?" though Meckhead may know. The answer has neither to do with the Swedish pop band nor any theological inclination -- that would be presumptuous.) And, yes, you've figured out one of the protagonists ... he's proving to be a very good outlet for all the weird things I've ever experienced in relationships. Except they make sense coming from him ...

3:02 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

About "Abba": May I render a guess? It sounds like what an adorable kid who has not yet entirely mastered all of the challenging sounds of the English language might call you. Anywhere close?

2:35 PM  
Blogger Abba said...

Fairly close. Mumbling college boyfriend whose friends knew me as "Abba."

11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home