Ligature

Name:
Location: Chicagoland, Illinois, United States

Monday, November 22, 2004

CMYK

(Tonight's workout accompaniment: Franz Ferdinand [Incidentally, "40’" is my new favorite song. Then again, I dig any song in which "la la la" is delivered sarcastically, or a death-inspired "do do do do be do do do" as in Rhett Miller's "Dang Me."])

Here's a question for you printing & publishing geeks out there. Why do we refer to process printing as "CMYK" when, in fact, the ink is applied in the order Yellow, Magenta, Cyan, blacK? Is it because YMCK sounds too much like YMCA? Are we afraid the art department or design team is going to dress in obnoxious costumes and devise hand motions and a theme song to describe their favorite web or rotogravure process?

(Today I learned that I can use process separations in hand screen printing. I learned how to do separations in Photoshop. There was much rejoicing.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Kella said...

Has anyone extolled your intelligence lately?

If not, let me.

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home