Ligature

Name:
Location: Chicagoland, Illinois, United States

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Demo days, part 1

Tried to go car shopping tonight.

Took friends J. and B. with me and drove quite a bit out of my way to the dealer that had showed most promise over email. I'd emailed the dealer days ago that I'd be stopping by the lot to check out a car at 7:30 p.m.

I got my first look at this from the outside, and we opened the doors and took a peek inside. My neurosis about cars rolling down hills kept me from actually getting in, since the car was parked on an incline and the parking brake was not on. (Spend seven years with a car without a reliable parking brake that is known to propel itself spontaneously down hills and you'll understand.)

When we arrived, there were two salesmen talking to each other next to the nearest car.

After ten minutes on the lot and five on the showroom floor without being asked whether we needed help, I approached the receptionist and asked whether I could speak with one of the two salespeople I'd been in touch with over email.

Only one was available, so she sent him over. He introduced himself, then excused himself to go look up my previous emails to him. He returned five minutes later and said he was in the middle of something else and he'd check on whether they had the car I was interested in and send another salesperson over.

We waited another ten minutes, poking around the showroom floor to kill time. Over at a bank of computers, there are five salesmen gathered around a computer.

After another five minutes, we started to get impatient and began to ease our way to the door. At least two of the five salesmen noticed us moving toward the exit (one of whom was the salesperson I'd emailed). None did a thing to stop us.

Here I was, ready to spend a chunk of cash and carrying a manila folder full of documents and printouts that mean I mean business, and they completely disregard my presence.

Why? Because I have pink hair? Because I'm a woman? Because I was there with two other people my age? I shudder to think. But I'm taking my business elsewhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home