Ligature

Name:
Location: Chicagoland, Illinois, United States

Sunday, March 21, 2004

Gotham City: +$160

Prologue
J. and S. both live in the city, in a heavily populated area that's a big destination for city- and suburban-dwellers alike. Especially on nice spring days.

12:40 p.m.
I parked in my usual spot, not intending to be there later than the posted parking restrictions. Ran some errands in the neighborhood and grabbed a quick bite of lunch.

1:30 p.m.
Met S. for a movie.

7:00 p.m.
Went out with J. for improv comedy and a late dinner. It'll be a month until our next date, since we're both out-of-town for weeks on end. Great show, cozy restaurant.

2:50 a.m.
Left J's house later than planned, but not soon enough to save my car.

3:02 a.m.
One minute past the posted parking restrictions, they begin towing. I saw my vehicle atop the tow truck. Pleaded with the driver. Told the cop I'd pay the fee. Cop said there was nothing she could do once the car was on the truck.

3:10 a.m.
Called J., explained the situation. J. met me downstairs and said he'd drive me to the pound, far on the city's outskirts. Eventually found it, after a half-hour drive and an additional fifteen minutes of circling the neighborhood.

4:00 a.m.
J. came in with me and waited in line with me for 30 minutes. Yes, my car was probably in the lot, but they hadn't finished paperwork. Please wait in line again. Twenty minutes. Car is probably in lot, still no paperwork. Went outside for a breath of fresh air with J. Sat in his car for awhile, then let him sleep in the driver's seat while I went through the line again.

5:20 a.m.
Finally. An hour-and-a-half after my arrival at the pound, my car was processed and I could bring it to the front of the yard. I begin the walk into the pound. Locate car, determine it's unharmed and drive to the front. Booth attendant writes my VIN on paperwork and tells me to go inside and pay.

5:30 a.m.
Before going back to pay, I wake J. up, tell him he can go home. He tells me to call if I need him to come back. I start crying at the stress of the situation and relief that it's over, and at his uncomplaining helpfulness. Also crying because I'm exhausted and our good evening ended with such a hassle.

5:35 a.m.
I go back inside to pay for my car. Another 30 minutes in line. Sunrise. Shuffled from one trailer to the next to finish paperwork and pay.

6:15 a.m.
Leave auto pound. Drive through deserted streets with grease pencil numbers all over my passenger-side window and windshield.

6:30 a.m.
Home. Remove grease pencil markings from car windows. Take out contacts. Collapse into bed.

5:30 p.m.
J calls to make sure I'm okay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home