Ligature

Name:
Location: Chicagoland, Illinois, United States

Saturday, February 21, 2004

I'm following a strict budget these days. I'm going to Germany for two weeks this spring, so I've been trying to control my spending here so I can enjoy myself there. Meals out have been luxuries, lately.

I do my laundry at this little hole-in-the-wall smoking-permitted laundromat where the guy with the silver hoop ear plugs and anarchist tee-shirts and I share pleasant conversation about the weather.

While watching my damp laundry tumble in the dryer, I noticed, first, a dollar bill. Then another. And another. And another. Then, while folding my laundry, I came across a tenner. Nestled comfortably among my socks and towels and underwear.

And it all came back to me. How I'd put my car keys and a twenty in the tiny pocket of my black pants when I went salsa dancing last weekend. I'd come home exhausted, deposited my clothes in the hamper and fell asleep immediately.

By the next day, the remaining $14 was forgotten.

Until just now, when I splurged on a delicious $2.50 shish-kebab sandwich at the Pakistani restaurant next door to the laundromat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home