Ligature

Name:
Location: Chicagoland, Illinois, United States

Tuesday, February 03, 2004

Ligature. For those of you who aren't typography geeks, a ligature is a character typographers use when they set an "A" and an "E" (or an "F" and an "I") together in print. It takes into account the positive and negative spaces of each letter and merges them into a single character that represents both more seamlessly than the individual characters.

You'll see it when you read a finely typeset book, and sometimes in the newspaper. It's probably something most people see thousands of times and never stop to consider.

I don't know if I have a "philosophy" for this blog yet. Except to perhaps share observations that I might otherwise keep to myself.

Little things, like the way an "A" and an "E" come together so beautifully.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home