Ligature

Name:
Location: Chicagoland, Illinois, United States

Thursday, August 19, 2004

Chicago Wilderness

There's this magazine here, called Chicago Wilderness. At first, I thought it was an oxymoron. But having spent five years here I've come to learn that there are pockets of forest preserve in the city (for example, I can watch deer grazing from my office building which is less than a mile from O'Hare airport) and true wilderness not too far beyond it.

But it's still not the same as Wisconsin or Missouri.

Tonight I was driving home, and it had rained pretty heavily during my second dinner of deep-fried asparagus. (It was for charity that I ate dinner twice, tonight, okay?)

As I drove home, the streetlights reflected in the street some reds and greens evocative of the Northern Lights.

And there came a pang of homesickness for places where one can see the stars at night, where one can breathe unlabored and one can walk for miles without encountering another human being.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home