Ligature

Name:
Location: Chicagoland, Illinois, United States

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Singleton

It's been at least a year since I last went on a date. And I'm not even sure that drinks at the top of the Hancock Center counts as a date, although I did have a very enjoyable evening with the person in question.

I have some friends who are very concerned about my lack of interest in dating.

Tonight, over dinner, they suggested I check out eHarmony, since a friend we have in common is using that service. Given my previous experiences with online dating services, I'm not terribly interested.

More that that, though, I don't feel like I'm missing anything by not being attached. I spend my free time with friends, on creative pursuits or reading.

While I was in the Middle East, I was encouraged by my host to come back for my honeymoon.

"That might be quite awhile," I said. "Since I'm not currently seeing anyone."

"No problem," she said. "We'll find you a husband."

"We have a whole catalog of them," her assistant added, in jest.

I had a series of long-term committed relationships when I was younger. After those ended, I felt a terrible void in my life.

In the past few years, however, I haven't felt that pang for companionship. I'm happy with my life. I don't feel a need to "put myself out there" as my friend suggests.

Perhaps its laziness. Or complacency. Or a sense of unworthiness. Or fear that a relationship will hold me back from doing the things I want to do with my life. Who knows? But what matters is that for now I'm happy.

2 Comments:

Blogger BriGuy said...

Good for you. There's nothing wrong with being single, despite the misconceptions out there ... :-)

1:20 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Ooh! Abba, you need to read the book "Quirkyalone" by Sasha Cagan.

My personal opinion is that many of the quirkyalones that she describes are INFP's. :-)

9:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home